Here is a subject that comes up quite often... I have talked to a couple of folks this week that have had their property listed as a For Sale By Owner (FSBO). For whatever reason they're resistant to paying a commision to a real estate agent. Maybe they don't then we work that hard or maybe they had a bad experience with a prior agent.
On some level I actually understand their resistance to paying a commision. I love saving money and I am, and always will be, a DIY kind of girl. But, in advertising I worked with clients all the time that wanted to use the logo they designed on their computer, or that had "interesting" ideas about what their campaign should look like. Occasioanlly they'd have a great idea, but 9 times out of 10 I'd have to come up with some diplomatic way to explain why we could do better, or what might be more effective for them. Anyway - that experience taught me a lot about hiring a professional, someone that works hard, that's smart and someone you can trust and then getting out of their way.
There are statistics that paint a pretty compelling picture about why you should use an agent. For instance:
- The average FSBO home sold for $184,000 while the average agent-assisted home sale was $230,000. This means that an agent-assisted home sale can get you a 25% larger profit. Assuming you paid a 6% agent commission on a $235,000 home, or $14,100, you would still come out $36,900 ahead! Looks like a win for everybody.
- Yard signs are great but only 10% of sellers find their property via yard signs.
- Nearlt 90% of homes in the US are sold via a real estate agent - just 8% via FSBO.
Also preparing all of the legal forms, disclosures etc. is your responsibility, and if you’re unfamiliar with the guidelines and requirements, which most people are, you are under a larger financial and legal liability.
So...What do I get for that commision?
Good question. As your listing broker I will handle every detail of the transaction including:
- Consulting on staging,
- Consulting on maintenance issues etc... that need to be addressed prior to listing.
- Walking you through the process carefully so that nothing is missed and that you feel comfortable
- Making sure all the forms and disclosure are done correctly.
- I complete a competitive market analysis to make sure we're getting as much for your home as possible. I have access to many tools that provide a huge advantage in pricing and understanding the market.
When it's time to market your property I provide:
- Profesional photography,
- Video and drone photography if needed.
- Digital media including a custome website,
- Facebook and social media advertising,
- Search engine optimazation,
- Print media support including advertising in local print media,
- Just listed postcards,
- Profesionally designed flyers and brochures.
- Boots on the ground including getting your home on real estate tours,
- Open houses,
- Custom invitatitions to prospective buyers and more.
I am 100% focused on selling your property and making sure that you have the best representation possible.
Wether it's a doctor, lawyer, plumber, or real estate agent, etc... hire a fanastic professional, that you can trust, that will do everyhting they can to meet your needs. A real estae agent can make you money and provide important advice and services - so hire a good one! Good luck.
Here are a couple of good articles on FSBO Vs. Using a Realtor: